Monday 2 December 2013

Colette Zinnia - finally photographed!

I finished sewing this skirt back in mid-October, I can't believe it's taken me so long to get it photographed! I have tried - I wore this skirt sightseeing in Oxford, thinking that the dreaming spires would make a great backdrop but it rained all day and I ended up soaked in Wetherspoons eating chips. Not so glamorous :( 

Finally I decided that the back garden would do and here I am on Saturday morning modelling Version 1 of Colette's Zinnia pattern. 



No real changes to the pattern except that to get a good shape on the pocket I ended up stitching a 1cm line around the edge and then using that line to press the seam allowances under evenly.

Also, I totally ignored the instructions for the waistband and pinned the skirt to the flat waistband between the seam allowances, stitched it, THEN folded the waistband, stitched the short ends, folded it back to the right side and caught down the inner edge by hand.


In a way the delay in writing about this pattern is a good thing, because when I say that I love this skirt I can say that I love wearing it too. It's not my normal style, but there is something about the swishy fullness that feels so gorgeous - even in winter with tights or leggings underneath. 
I will definitely make the other versions too :)

1 comment:

  1. That's a really pretty purple Zinnia you made. I am making this version for a friend and I am stumped on the placket instructions. Been sewing for years and I don't know if I'm missing something but it looks like it just ends up a skinny half inch job. And no interfacing for the buttonholes? That could be a recipe for disaster. Somehow that doesn't seem very aesthetically balanced or sturdy enough. I am tempted to fold over a whole inch after the first fold. What did you do?

    ReplyDelete