Tuesday 3 September 2013

New Look 6181 - summer sewing!


I have to admit that I would never have looked twice at this pattern if it hadn't been included for free with  Sew Home magazine
It seems to be an unloved design with the rest of the world too - no-one has reviewed it on Pattern Review, I can't find any other bloggers with photos of the finished garment - it seems to have sunk without trace.

Which is a shame because it turned out well for me! I've been wearing it since the middle of August when I got desperate for something cool to wear. I've worn it casual, like in the photos, and smart with posh shoes and jewelry. It's a really versatile dress. 



I added a thin fabric belt round the waist to mirror the thin ties on the back neck. I also threaded silver beads onto the tie ends to give a bit of interest and weight. I love the bias drape of the back cowl neckline!

This pattern is definitely worth a second look. One little bit of advice; the pattern allows a lot of ease above your body measurements so its worth looking at the finished measurements on the pattern and asking yourself how loose you want the dress to be. Otherwise it's a straightforward pattern and I thoroughly recommend it.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lizzy. How much did you grade this pattern down in sizing? I know NL patterns always have loads of ease as you've said and I want to make this pattern this week. I know if I cut the size it says I am it will be HUGE. I'd be interested to know how many sizes you felt you had to go down in this dress. Thanks. Regards Monique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monique, I cut a size 12 although my body measurements are more like a size 16 according to the pattern envelope.
      Hope that helps :)

      Liz

      Delete
  2. Thanks Lizzy, that does help. Happy sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lizzy, me again. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you finish the back edge on the cowl? I find the pattern slightly ambiguous. All it says in step 4 is "machine baste 1/4" from outer curved edge of bodice". It doesn't say anything about edge finishing first (thought perhaps they assume you've done that) THEN FOLDING under 1/4" and stitching down. It just sounds like you are supposed to put a stitch 1/4" from the edge. So that's what I did thinking that later down the track there would be some other instruction to finish the edge, but there isn't. So I'm left with a raw edge. So I think I will fold it under 1/4" then another 1/4" then stitch it down so it has a nice neat edge (rather then serge and then fold under 1/4"). I'd be interested to know how you interpreted this step. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I just serged the edge. It doesn't show because of the way the shoulder seam folds under, but after a few washes it could look neater.
      I think a double fold would be fine so long as the material isn't too stiff to drape.
      Let me know how the dress goes :)

      Delete
  4. Is this pattern easy to follow? it seems that all the instructions are in french, is it possible to get an english version? I want to make it in a slub silk, will this be too stiff to drape?

    ReplyDelete